1 Marks Question
- Write the main function of insulin hormone.
- The main function of the insulin hormone is to control the level of sugar in the blood.
- What is cerebrospinal fluid?
- The fluid between the arachnoid mater and the pia mater which protects the brain and spinal cord from injury is called cerebrospinal fluid.
- If a very loud sound is produced, we immediately cover our ears with our hands. What types of respond is this?
- If a very loud sound is produced, we immediately cover our ears with our hands, it is a reflex action.
- Define reflex arc.
- The path which is travelled by impulse in a reflex action is called a reflex arc.
- In which part of the body is the thyroid gland found?
- The thyroid gland is found in throat.
- Write the name of hormone and gland that controls blood sugar.
- The name of the hormone is insulin and the gland is pancreas that controls blood sugar.
- Write the main function of insulin.
- The main function of insulin is it controls blood sugar.
- Which gland produces insulin?
- The gland that produces insulin is pancreas.
- Write one function of hormone secreted by parathyroid gland. Define taxis and tropism.
The parathyroid gland produces parathyroid hormone, it increases the calcium
level and decreases the phosphate level in blood plasma.
Taxis is the movement of an organism in response to a stimulus such as light or the presence of food. A tropism is a biological phenomenon, indicating the growth or turning movement of a biological organism.
- Write two functions of cerebrum.
Functions of cerebrum are:
- It control mental state such as mood, happiness, anger, temper, etc.
- It control mental activities involved in memory of past events, thinking, sense of responsibility.
- Sensitivity of touch, hearing.
- What are the names of two hormones secreted by male gonads?
- Androgen and testosterone are the names of two hormones secreted by male gonads.
- What is reflex action?
- A reflex action is a rapid automatic response without conscious thought.
- Which hormone is responsible for the following functions?
Balancing calcium level in bone. = Parathyroid hormone
Maintains the level of sugar in blood. = Insulin hormone
- Write the two functions of medulla oblongata.
Two functions of medulla oblongata are:
- It receives and integrates signals from spinal cord and sends resulting signals to the cerebellum.
- It controls involuntary functions like vomiting, coughing, sneezing, breathing, blood pressure, etc.
- What is ganglion?
- The collection of cell bodies or cytons which communicates with the brain and spinal cord is called a ganglion. It is located in the grey matter of the spinal cord.
- Write one function of hormone secreted by parathyroid gland.
- The function of the hormone secreted by the parathyroid gland is it balances calcium levels in bone.
- Which hormone balances the level of calcium in bone? Write the symptom due to lack of this hormone.
- Parathyroid hormone balances the level of calcium in the bone. It leads to muscle spasms, contraction of muscles in the face, hands, etc. due to lack of this hormone.
- What is hormone?
- The hormone is a regulatory substance produced in an organism and transported in tissue fluids such as blood or sap to stimulate specific cells or tissues into action.
- What symptoms are seen when thyroid gland produces hormones in excess and less?
- Symptoms are seen when the thyroid gland produces hormones in excess are calcium level in blood increases and bones become soft and porous which also leads to tumour growth and kidney stone. Similarly, less production of these hormones leads to muscle spasms, contraction of muscles in the face, hands, etc.
- Write the name and function of fluid found in brain.
- The name of fluid found in the brain is cerebrospinal fluid, it protects the brain from mechanical injury.
- How many numbers of spinal nerves are present in human body? Write down two functions of spinal cord.
There are 31 pairs of spinal nerves in human body.
Two functions of spinal cord are:
- It conducts reflex actions.
- It connects various body parts with the brain.
- What is photo taxis?
- Phototaxis is a kind of taxis or locomotory movement, that occurs when a whole organism moves towards or away from a stimulus of light.
- Which part of a central nervous system conducts reflex action?
- Spinal cord conducts reflex action.
- Name the three membranes that completely cover the brain.
- The three membranes that completely cover the brain are dura mater, pia mater and arachnoid mater.
- What is sensory neuron? Which hormone balances calcium in bone?
Sensory neuron is the neuron which transmit impulses from various body parts
to the central nervous system.
Parathyroid hormone balances calcium in bone.
- Where is medulla oblongata located?
- The medulla oblongata is located in the lowermost part of our brain.
- Where is pituitary gland located?
- The pituitary gland is located inside the skull in the lower part of the brain.
- Where is cerebrospinal fluid found?
- Cerebrospinal fluid is found in the brain between the arachnoid mater and the pia mater.
- Write any two functions of cerebrospinal fluid.
Functions of cerebrospinal fluid are:
- It protects brain and spinal cord from physical injury.
- It exchanges nutrients and waste products between itself and nerve cells.
- It keeps the brain moist.