- Draw a chart to show the first generation and second generation resulted due to the fusion of gametes of long-winged housefly (HH) and short-winged housefly (hh). Which generation shows the law of purity of gametes? Justify it.
Phenotype = 3:1
Genotype = 1:2:1
F1 and F2 shows the law of purity of gametes because all the fly in the F1 generation has the same characteristics, the gamete remains in a pure state and in F2 generation a fly with all different characteristics are seen.
- Pea plant with red flower (RR) and white flower (rr) are crossed pollinated firstly and then self pollinated. What will be the colour of flower at first and second generation? Why? Write with necessary chart.
The colour of the flower of the pea plant in first-generation is hybrid red because red is the dominant character and the second generation is pure red, pure white and hybrid red because due to the segregation of genes while forming gamete.
- How is hybrid produced? Write any one difference between phenotype and genotype.
Hybrid is produced by the cross between two different parents with pure
The external appearance or expression of an organism is called phenotype whereas the genetic makeup of an organism of a particular character is called genotype.
- Why did Mendel select pea plants in his experiment?
Mendel selected pea plants in his experiment because of the following
- Pea plants have short life spans and can be grown easily.
- The hybrids produce fertile offspring.
- They can be easily cultivated.
- They produce a large number of offspring.