The ores of some metals are:
|Iron||Haematite, Magnetite, Siderite, Limonite, Iron pyrite.|
|Aluminium||Bauxite, Cryolite, Felspar.|
|Copper||Copper pyrite (Chalcopyrite), Cuprite (Ruby copper), Chalcocite (Copper glance), Malachite, Azurite.|
|Silver||Argentite (Silver glance), Silver copper glance, Horn silver, Ruby silver (Pyrargylite).|
|Gold||Alluvial soil or Alluvial sand or Quartz veins and Reef gold.|
1 Marks Question
- Mention two major ores of iron.
- Two major ores of iron are: haematite, magnetite.
- What is an alloy?
- An alloy is a homogenous mixture of metals or metals combined with one or more other elements.
- Write the atomic number and atomic weight of copper.
Atomic number = 29
Atomic weight = 63.57
- What are the atomic number and atomic weight of silver?
Atomic number = 47
Atomic weight = 107.88 (108)
- Write the name of two ores of copper.
- The name of two ores of copper are chalcopyrite, cuprite, etc.
- Which metal is obtained form chalcopyrite?
- Copper is obtained form chalcopyrite.
- Which metal is obtained form hematite?
- Iron is obtained form hematite.
- What is blister copper?
- The molten form of copper that gives out impurities of gases in the form of bubbles and is about 99% pure is called blister copper.
- Which metal can be extracted from the ore felspar?
- Aluminium can be extracted from the ore felspar.