1 Marks Question
- Write one special property of water glass.
- One special property of water glass is it is soluble in water.
- What is glazing?
- The process of coating ceramics with tin oxide or lead oxide and then heating it is glazing. It makes objects waterproof and beautiful.
- What is silica glass (quartz glass)?
- When silica alone is heated strongly at about 1600°C and cooled slowly, it forms a crystalline solid with a transparent appearance. It is called silica glass.
- What is saponification?
- The process of making soap by reacting vegetable oil or animal fat with a caustic soda solution is called saponification.
- Write full form of PVC and BHC.
- The full form of PVC is Polyvinyl Chloride and BHC is Benzene Hexa Chloride.
- Write an example of thermosetting plastic.
- An example of thermosetting plastic are bakelite, melamine, etc.
- Name two raw materials used in manufacture of cement.
- Two raw materials used in manufacture of cement are calcium carbonate (CaCO3) and special type of clay (Al2O3SiO2).
- What are fibres? Given two example of synthetic fibres.
- Fibres are thread like strong materials used for making clothes, nets, ropes, etc. Examples of synthetic fibres are nylon, terylene, terywool, etc.
- Give an example of each carbonate insecticide and phosphorous fertilizer.
- Examples of carbonate insecticides are baygon, turmeric, etc. and phosphorous fertilizer are ammonium phosphate, superphosphate, triple phosphate, etc.
- Write down the full form of DDT.
- The full form of DDT is Dichloro Diphenyl Trichloroethane.
- Name the raw materials used for making soap.
- The raw materials used for making soap are vegetable oils or animal fats, alkalies such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and sodium chloride to increase precipitation.
- Mention any two ways that minimize the chemical pollution.
The ways that minimize the chemical pollution are listed below:
More info: Use of insecticides and chemical fertilizer should be limited, proper monitoring mechanism should be developed, industries should be established far from human settlement.
- Public awareness should be raised.
- Population growth and unplanned urbanization should be controlled.
- Which glass is called pyrex glass?
- Borosilicate glass is called pyrex glass.
- What is chemical pollution?
- The pollution caused by excessive use and improper disposal of chemicals is called chemical pollution.
- What is cement?
- Cement is a fine grey power of calcium silicate and calcium aluminate which is used to make roads, buildings, dams, bridges, etc.
- What is soap?
- Soap is a salt of fatty acids that is capable of carrying away dirt along with water.
- Write any one chemical name of detergent.
Chemical name of detergent is sodium pyrophosphate.
More info: Chemical name of detergents are Alkyl benzene sulphonate, sodium lauryl sulphate.
- Write one example each of soap, detergent and natural fibre.
- An example of soap is sodium oliate, detergent is sodium pyrophosphate and natural fibre is silk.
- Which metallic oxide is mixed in ordinary glass to make red and black glass of each?
- Cuprous oxide is mixed with ordinary glass to make red and nickel oxide is mixed to make black glass.
- Mention two negative effects of excessive use of pesticides in our daily life.
Two negative effects of excessive use of pesticides in our daily life are:
More info: It contaminates soil, water, and other vegetation, it leads to the destruction of biodiversity.
- It cause adverse health effects and illnesses.
- It cause skin irritation, tumors, genetic changes, blood and nerve disorders, endocrine disruption, coma or death.
- Which substance is used to increase refractive index of glass? Which glass is called lead crystal glass?
- Lead monoxide is used to increase the refractive index of glass. Flute glass is called lead crystal glass.
- What are the raw materials used to prepare water glass?
- The raw materials used to prepare water glass are silica, sodium carbonate or potassium carbonate.
- Name the chemical which increase the setting time of cement.
- The chemical which increases the setting time of cement is gypsum.
- Write the name of raw materials used for the preparation of pyrex glass.
- The name of raw materials used for the preparation of pyrex glass are silica, sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate and boric oxide.
- Write any two properties of ceramics.
Two properties of ceramics are listed below:
- It can withstand high temperature.
- It is resistant to chemicals, poor conductors of heat and electricity and is hard and brittle.
- Write the name of raw materials used for the preparation of ordinary glass.
- The name of raw materials used for the preparation of ordinary glass are silica, sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate and glass pieces.
- Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is kept in plastic or glass bottle. Why?
- Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is kept in plastic or glass bottle because it doesn't react with plastic and glass bottle.