Name the compound having the given structural formula. Which compound is
formed when one hydrogen atom from each carbon is replaced by -OH group and
also, write its one application.
The compound having the given structural formula is Propane.
Glycerol is formed when one hydrogen atom from each carbon is replaced by -OH group. It is used in a stamp pad.
- Which compound is represented by general formula CnH2n+1OH? If value of n is 2 in this formula which compound is formed? Write its structural formula. If OH of this compound is replaced by H which compound is formed? Write its name and molecular formula.
Alcohol is represented by general formula CnH2n+1OH.
If the value of n is 2 in this formula the compound formed is ethyl alcohol. Its structural formula is:
If OH of this compound is replaced by H Ethane compound is formed, its molecular formula is C2H6.
- Write down the general formula of alkyne. Write the name and structural formula of the member of alkyne which contains an equal number of hydrogen and carbon. If such a compound is reacted with lots of hydrogen what happens?
The general formula of alkyne is CnH2n-2.
The name of the member of alkyne which contains an equal number of hydrogen and carbon is ethyne and its structural formula is:
H – C ≡ C – H
If such compound in reacted with lots of hydrogen ethane (C2H6) is formed.
- Observe the following structural formula and answer the given questions.
- Write the name and molecular formula of the hydrocarbon given in the figure.
- Trihydric Alcohol or Glycerol and molecular formula is C3H5(OH)3.
- Why is it called trihydric alcohol?
- It has three OH group so, it is called trihydric alcohol.
- Mention any one practical applications of this hydrocarbon.
- It is used in fruits and food materials as preservatives.